Ecclesiastes 3:11-13 (NIV)
(God) has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.
Uncovering and pursuing God’s will for my life is never easy for me. I am often confused by choices where neither option appears to be sinful or wrong, just different. Perhaps I’m discernment-challenged or a world-class justifier, but I can see the good in either side of many opportunities. I recently wrestled with this sort of decision, and ended by praying, “I’ll give this my best shot and consult You every step of the way, Father. If Your Spirit asks me to stop or You close doors, I’ll accept that it’s Your best for me and my family.”
My unrest was brought on by a job opportunity that fit my qualifications and experience beautifully. The catch was, it would be a high pressure, full-time-plus-evenings-and-weekends position. While it would have been a challenge I would have loved to take on, I didn’t know if I could meet my family and ministry commitments, plus do the job well.
The interview went well. I became even more excited about the opportunity, convincing myself we could work out all the details. A week later I received a call. The interviewer let me know the position had been filled by another candidate. While my qualifications had been a good match, the other candidate had been a near perfect match. My dreams were deflated. God had answered my prayer, and in this case, the answer was, “No.”
I felt relief that I wouldn’t have to figure out how to tell my current employer or find full-time daycare. No more conflicted feelings about neglecting my family. But in the middle of the night, the doubts crept in. Had I said too much in the interview? Not enough? Could I have done things differently and gotten the job? Did I not measure up?
Blessedly, in that moment of turmoil and doubt, I pulled out my Bible. Through His Word, God reminded me He has a plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11). He doesn’t want me to be anxious about anything (Philippians 4:6). If I set my mind on Him, He will give me perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3). If I had meant what I prayed at the start of this, I had to be okay with not “winning.” I had to accept and embrace God’s negative response.
I was able to go back to sleep, resting in God’s peace. The answer from God was “No” this time. This position wasn’t the right one for me now. Trusting God means I rest in His perfect will, even when I don’t understand.
Lord Jesus, finding the path You want me to take can be confusing and overwhelming sometimes. Thank You for the guidance You offer each of us through Your Word and the quiet voice of Your Spirit. Help me to rest in Your peace and trust Your plan. Help me not to shy away from future opportunities because Your answer was “No” this time. Amen.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment