Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gut-level Honest With God

Hosea 14:1, 2
Return, Israel, to the LORD your God,
Your sins have been your downfall!
Take words with you and return to the LORD.
Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously,
That we may offer the fruit of our lips."

How honest am I really with God? If I'm totally honest with God, I have ask myself some hard questions. Do I really give to others expecting nothing in return? Do I begrudge others the time it takes to listen to their problems? Am I pleasant to my kids in public but curt and uncaring in private? Confession means looking at myself with a magnifying glass and admitting to God where I come up short.

Many disciplines of Christianity have been my focus for seasons of my life, as I've worked to make them positive habits. I've focused on one of the fruits of the Spirit each day (Galatians 5:22, 23). I've memorized the books of the Bible and verses therein. I've focused on fasting, intercessory prayer, praise and solitude with God. But never have I made consistent confession my focus. Like a child caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I confess frantically when I'm caught red-handed.

I think I'll see what fruit comes from a season of scrutiny and confession. My guess would be a humbled spirit, a greater awareness of my positive or negative impact on the lives of others, and gratefulness to our loving God who lavishes His love and grace on me even while I continue to mess up.

Lord Jesus, thank You for loving me though I am imperfect. Help me to be gut-level honest and admit my weaknesses and mistakes. I want to make the changes I need to make to reflect Your love and grace to others in ever-increasing ways. Amen.

No comments: