Sunday, October 12, 2008

What Shall I Do?

Acts 2:37
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

Figuring out how to tell others about my faith is tough for me. After I become acquainted with people and find out they have no church home, I’m stumped about what to do next. Do I tell them right then that they need to make some major changes in their lives? Do I invite them over, sit them down and walk through my faith journey? Do I stay silent and drift away from the friendship to safer relationships with other Christians? Every time I’ve tried to forge ahead and share my faith early in a relationship, I’ve driven a wedge in the developing trust of the forming friendship. Likewise, an orchestrated lunch is met with suspicion by new friends. I’ve learned to wait for God’s timing, pray for opportunity and wisdom, and live authentically in the meantime.

This is the model the disciples left us. After Jesus was buried and resurrected, they had to feel disoriented about how to continue. How could they communicate the profound effect Jesus had on their lives? How would others respond? How could they make a difference in the world?

Pentecost didn’t happen when they were ready. It happened at the precise moment God knew it would have the most impact. Peter stood and spoke with the support of his faith brothers surrounding him. I’m thinking even he was shocked by the words that poured out of his mouth. The Spirit gave him wise words, through which thousands, then millions, then billions were saved.

So, what happens if we ask ourselves the same questions as the disciples? How can we communicate the profound effect Jesus has had on our lives? How will others respond? How can we make a difference in the world? If we wait for God’s timing, speak with the Spirit’s wisdom and live authentically for Jesus in the meantime, we, like Peter, will hear others exclaim, “What shall we do?”

Lord, I can’t seem to tell others about You well. I stumble around and say too much or too little at the wrong times. Help me not to be self-conscious about my words, but to rely on You for perfect wisdom and timing. I lift up those I know who need Your leadership and Lordship in their lives. Lord, if You’re willing, use me and my imperfections to lead them to You. Amen.

No comments: