Acts 8:29-31, 35
The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked. Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
How many of us think we could do great things for God if only He’d ask? This passage provides a good framework for a follow-up to Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life. I’ll trademark it as “The Philip Method.” Lots of us know God has a purpose for our lives, but we aren’t sure exactly how to carry it out. Here’s a series of questions we can ask ourselves as we move through life.
1. Do I obey when the Holy Spirit leads me? I’m not sure what Philip had planned that day, but he cleared his schedule to head down a road with no real plan. Am I available to help as needed, or is my schedule so crammed that it leaves no room for extras? Others have referred to this as “margin.” Just as margins frame a page, the margins in our lives give us space for the spiritual framework around our physical lives.
2. Am I bold in carrying out God’s mission? Philip ran up alongside the chariot of an influential man and asked him a personal, probing question. It would be like coming up next to Barack Obama’s motorcade and chatting with him. How long do you think the Secret Service would let me do that before “detaining” me? Philip took a risk, maybe even risking his life, to carry out God’s mission.
3. Am I prepared for the work? Philip was ready physically, mentally and spiritually. He was able to hold a conversation as he ran alongside the chariot, so obviously he was in good shape. He was able to connect the good news of Jesus to the place where the man was and lead him to Jesus. Am I physically able to meet the challenges Jesus could throw my way? Am I familiar enough with my faith and Scripture to tell the story of Jesus in a way others can relate to?
4. Do I recognize the authority Jesus gives me? What would I do if someone wanted me to baptize them right now? Would I feel like I needed a pastor to do it right? Mike Slaughter talks of the “priesthood of all believers.” God gives each of us the authority to do what He calls us to do. We don’t need a “hired gun” to do God’s work.
5. Am I able to dive into the next thing when it’s time? Honestly, after the experience Philip went through, I would be anxious to go home and tell my friends all about what had happened. I could be content to rest on that incident of being used by God for weeks (maybe years!). But Philip found himself in another place so he kept preaching, doing God’s next assignment.
We can do great things for God, but we have to be available, courageous and prepared. Where can you use the Philip Method today?
Lord Jesus, thank You for Your Spirit who leads and guides us. Help us to be available, courageous and prepared to be used by You. Amen.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment