1 Thessalonians 5:17
Pray continually.
I have to confess that I don’t pray continually. Sometimes I’m thinking about stuff like what we need at the grocery or Bob the Builder’s cat’s name (Pilchard—didn’t mean to distract you if you were praying).
At the doctor’s office the other day, she asked me to “breathe normally.” I laughed and said, “Now I can’t.” Have you ever noticed the harder you try, the weirder you breathe? A friend of mine recently had a health scare. The doctor recommended that she work hard at relaxing. Again, the more you work at it, the less you’re able to achieve the intended result.
I think that’s how it is with praying unceasingly. If I get all hung up about doing it wrong and focus on all the times I’ve let God slip my mind, I’ve done exactly what I’m trying not to. I’ve got my eyes on myself instead of on my Lord. The command to pray unceasingly is all about relationship and not about rules. If I’m in a love relationship with Jesus, I’ll want to share my day with Him, consult with Him about my struggles, celebrate with Him my joys. Praying unceasingly then becomes a running mental dialogue—a silvery spider web of connection with Jesus that runs through everything I do.
If my eyes are focused on Him during the mundane and the crisis, then I don’t have to feel guilty about thinking through the mechanics of my day and my dreams for the future. Jesus has given me a mind to chase after Him. Much as I don’t spend my time in a self-conscious state of breathing normally, I can release my load of prayer guilt to the joy of His presence.
Lord Jesus, I love You and want Your input and wisdom on everything I think and do. Help me to stay in a constant state of communion with You. Draw me closer to Your Spirit and give me Your peace. Amen.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment